August 5, 2008

Yeah, I read "young adult" books, what's it to you??

On Saturday I went to the closest Barnes & Noble with every intention of picking up Stephanie Meyer's new novel Breaking Dawn and a few other titles that caught my eye.

As I made my way to the checkout line I witnessed a teen girl coming rushing into the store, run up up to the table where a friendly Barnes & Noble employee was handing out the pre-ordered and non pre-ordered books. The girl screeched out, "Are there any books left? Please tell me there are books left!"

The employee not even phased by the outburst handed her a book which led to the girl jumping up in down in place with the novel tightly clutched to her chest.

She raced to the checkout line with her mother lagging behind. I ended up directly behind the mother and daughter in line.

The mother glances at me, notices that I too have a copy of Breaking Dawn. No lie. THe mother rolled her eyes at me and says in disgust, "Oh! Not you too!"

I most have had a look of bewilderment on my face for she followed up with the following line. "You are obviously not a teen, therefore I cannot imagine why you would want to read that book." Note - she stressed the words obviously and that book.

I replied why shrugging my shoulders, "I like the series."

Her reply, "But it is a teen book".

I wanted to blurt out "SO" but instead I just shrugged my shoulders again and said, "I happen to enjoy reading all different types of books - including young adult."

I have never seen someone be so disgusted at the thought of an adult reading a "young adult" novel.

Honestly, what is the big deal? Just because I am of a certain age does not mean I am suddenly restricted to reading certain types of books. I was astonished.

I feel bad for this woman - she must lead a life of restrain and do what everyone expects of her. How boring.

Not me. I shall continue to live my life enjoying all types of novel, short stories, graphic novels, etc. Isn't that the point of reading - to enjoy yourself.

Hmph...some people.

Regarding the book, I started reading it Sunday evening after the in-laws left. I'm about 530 pages into the book and all I will say is - it is different. I'm not going to pass judgment now. I'll wait until I actually finish the book. I will say - my favorite part thus far were the chapters told from Jacob's point of view.

No comments: